Members of the Board of Selectmen are the Chief Elected Officials and Executive Officers of the Town. The five-member board, elected for staggered three-year terms, is charged with the general direction and management of the property and affairs of the Town. The Board of Selectmen employs a Town Administrator to manage the day-to-day business of the Town within the Board’s policy direction.
The Carlisle Board of Selectmen meets the second and fourth Tuesdays of each month at 7:00 p.m. in the Clark Room on the first floor of the Town Hall. In addition Special Meetings are called as needed by the Board. All meetings are open to the public, and residents may address any issues or concerns that they have to the Board during the “Open Forum” portion of the agenda near the beginning of each meeting. The Board’s meeting may also be viewed on Channel 9, the local public access channel.
POWERS AND DUTIES
The powers and duties of the Board include:
• Appointing Authority for all Town employees under their jurisdiction
• Adopting and amending Town administration policies as necessary
• Fiduciary responsibility for Town finances
• Signs warrants for payment of all Town bills
• Licensing Board for the Town
• Signs Warrants for Annual Town Meeting and Special Town Meetings
• Acts as Town’s Cemetery Commissioners
• Enforcement of bylaws and regulation of public ways
• Coordinates the Town’s participation with regional groups
• Employs a professional Town Administrator to carry out the Board’s policies and decisions
• Hires Town Counsel to represent the Town in legal issues
• Serves as Trustees for various Trusts of the Town.