Skip Navigation
Welcome to Carlisle, MA
Photo of Carlisle
Photo of Carlisle
Photo of Carlisle
Photo of Carlisle
This table is used for column layout.

Frequently Asked Questions

How to File An Application
As a convenience fire department permit applications are available during normal business hours (9 AM to 3 PM) Monday through Friday at the Carlisle Town Hall, 66 Westford Street in the Building Commissioners office on second floor.  Applications may be completed there and left along with the inspection and permit fee in the fire department mailbox.

Applications are picked up early morning the next day.  Applicants will be contacted by the department (usually within 3 business days but no later than 5 business days) to make an appointment for an inspection.  Please note that applications left on Friday are not picked up until Monday morning.

Please note that the fire department has no staff at Town Hall or the Fire Station on a regular basis therefore all questions regarding fire prevention laws,  regulations as well as inspections and permits must be directed to the fire department fire prevention office by voice mail at 978-287-0072 ext. 339 or by email at

How to Schedule an Inspection
Applications must be filed and the appropriate fee paid before any inspections are made. See how to file an application.

How to Obtain an Open Burning Permit
In order to obtain a permit to burn during open burning season (January 15th through April 31st each year), Carlisle homeowners must be registered with the fire department.  Homeowners must go to the communications center (Police Station) located at 41 Lowell Street in Carlisle in person.  This can be done at any time and no appointment is necessary. There is no fee. Once registered homeowners must still call the fire department (978-369-2242) each and every day burning is planned after 8:30 AM.  Open burning may be suspended by the fire chief at any time.

Is Outdoor Burning Allowed?
Open burning in Massachusetts is not allowed.  The only exception is during open burning season, January 15 through April 31st of each year, by permit only. It must be on the permit holder's property.  

Are Outdoor Cooking Fires Allowed?
Outdoor Cooking Fires including outdoor fireplaces, pits, or grills are allowed for persons over the age of eighteen. Anyone wishing to have a cooking fire in a contained fire pit should notify the dispatcher in advance, 978-369-2242 (there is no written permit). All cooking fires should be at least 50 feet from any building, and the fire should be enclosed within rocks, metal, or noncombustible material. The requester must be in attendance until the fire is extinguished. This person shall have a garden hose connected to a water supply or other fire extinguishing equipment readily available for use. This fire should not be used for the disposal of rubbish, trash, or waste materials.

Carlisle Fire Department Patch Policy
The department no longer makes fire department patches available for collectors.  There is an image available of our patch on our web site.

Information for Homeowners Insurance Company
Homeowners who receive questions from their insurance companies regarding the fire department and nearest water supply may refer these questions to the Deputy's office at 978-287-0072 x332 or by email at .  The department will contact your insurance company to assist in answering any questions.

Site  This Folder
Advanced Search

Town Seal
Town of Carlisle 66 Westford Street, Carlisle, MA 01741

Phone: (978) 369-6136    Fax: (978) 371-0594
Virtual Towns & Schools Website