How do I know if I live on a scenic road, and why does that matter to me?

The list of “Scenic Roads,” as designated by Town Meeting, is in Article XII of the Town’s General Bylaws. By state law, trees and stone walls within the right-of-way of a scenic road are protected from being cut down or destroyed unless the Planning Board, after a public hearing, gives its written consent to do so. This applies to actions of private individuals, utilities and the Town itself. It does not apply to trees or walls that are on private property. Typically, stone walls form the boundary between the right-of-way and private lots, and these walls, or trees similarly situated, are protected. See the Planning Board’s Rules and Regulations for Scenic Roads for more information.

Show All Answers

1. What is the schedule of Planning Board meetings?
2. How can I subdivide my land?
3. What is a special permit and why would I need one?
4. What is site plan approval?
5. Is it possible for me to put an accessory apartment in my house?
6. Is my house on a public way (Town-accepted) or a private way?
7. How do I know if I live on a scenic road, and why does that matter to me?
8. How can I find out in which Zoning District my property is located - Residence A or Residence B?
9. What are the required lot frontages, lot area, and building setbacks in my Zoning District?
10. I am interested in putting a wireless facility on my property. What types of facilities are allowed, and what is the application process?
11. I am interested in going solar, and want to know if I may install a solar facility on my property.
12. Can I put a business in my home?